Christopher (Chris) F. Anderson has been with S&G since its formation in 1999 and became a Shareholder in 2002. His practice involves business transactional matters (with an emphasis in healthcare related clients), healthcare regulatory advice and intellectual property licensing transactions. His expertise includes:
- Providing extensive healthcare regulatory and transactional advice for over 10 years to a multi-state ambulatory surgery center (ASC) development company, including syndication of new ASCs, purchase and sale of existing ASCs, ongoing state and federal compliance issues, including compliance with the anti-kickback statute, general contracting issues, assisting with litigation strategies, negotiation of management agreements and restructuring of existing ASCs. In connection with ASC syndications, drafted numerous private placement memoranda and subscription agreements and structured syndications in compliance with federal and state securities laws, including Regulation D and Rule 147.
- Representing for-profit and nonprofit parties in joint ventures including regulatory compliance issues (including tax exemption and UBTI issues) and the negotiation of limited partnership and operating agreements and related professional, management and billing services agreements.
- Restructuring existing joint ventures involving hostile investors through the use of cash-out mergers and issuer tender offers.
- Serving as the interim general counsel to a multi-campus nonprofit hospital located in Northern California providing legal advice on numerous issues including provider-based joint ventures, the negotiation of hospital-based physician agreements, call coverage arrangements and the review of independent valuations.
- Assisting a Northern California medical foundation with the drafting and review of a large number of physician employment agreements related to complex compensation terms, including the review of related independent valuations.
- Representing a healthcare technology company with the acquisition and licensing of a mail-order pharmacy company, including obtaining state licensure in all 50 states.
- Representing a Sacramento-based software company in numerous licensing transactions including a licensing joint venture with a publicly-traded company that resulted in acquisition of the software company by the publicly-traded company.
- Mergers and acquisitions involving the sale and purchase of technology and healthcare companies, including software developers, medical groups, clinical labs, management companies, pharmacies, imaging centers and ASCs including acquisitions involving the restructuring of "S" corporations to limit tax consequences to the seller while maintaining Medicare provider certifications and applicable licenses.
- Representing a health system in the sale of a laboratory business to a publicly traded company.
- Assisting clients with the negotiation of software development and customization agreements.
- Representing a California nonprofit mutual benefit corporation (trade association) with respect to nonprofit corporate governance issues and negotiation of its management agreements with its affiliated entities.
- Assisting medical groups with healthcare compliance issues, including Stark, anti-kickback and related state laws and regulations.
- Developing litigation strategies involving antitrust, corporate practice of Medicare and unfair business practices (BP §17200) claims in the context of hospital-based physician contract negotiations and the challenge of restrictive covenants limiting the ability of physicians to invest in a surgery center.
Mr. Anderson received his Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of California, Davis in 1990. He received his Juris Doctorate, with Distinction, from the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law in 1994, graduating first in his class, and was awarded the honor of class valedictorian. Mr. Anderson began practicing in 1994, serving as an Assistant Deputy District Attorney in Contra Costa County, California, and then as an associate in the Business Tax Section of a large Sacramento law firm before leaving to participate in the founding of S&G.
Mr. Anderson is a member of the Business Law and Health Law Sections of the Sacramento County Bar Association and American Health Lawyers Association. He served as an infantry officer in the United States Army Reserve from 1990 through 2000. Mr. Anderson has volunteered his time with the Cub Scouts serving as Cub Master of Pack 217 for a number of years and coaching lacrosse for various local youth clubs and Jesuit High School. He lives with his wife, Kathleen, and their seven children (at last count).
Named in Top Lawyers List, Sacramento Magazine (August 2017)
Named in Top Lawyers List, Sacramento Magazine (August 2016)
AV Preeminent peer review rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
View publications by Chris Anderson.